I have some IBC's to be used for rainwater storage - but I want to elevate them so I can water directly from them with a hose.

Has anyone got any cunning/clever ideas on how to elevate them at minimum cost? They are in aluminium frames designed to be lifted by forklift, so have structure to attach to.

I am reasonably handy with wood.

  • 1
    Presumably they fit on pallets? Maybe stack a few of those? You can often find them free/cheap.
    – LShaver
    Jun 28, 2022 at 19:51
  • 1
    Cheers @LShaver - it takes a lot of pallets to get that high, and in practice they aren't that freely available around here -- I have been looking to make stands out of wood from pallets as I have a few, but safety is an issue so I don't want to under-engineer it.
    – pperrin
    Jun 28, 2022 at 22:31
  • Pallets on an even, stony surface should suffice. Maybe protect the pallets from weather by skirting them with some plastic sheet. Or place the IBCs on top of a small mound of dirt.
    – Erik
    Jul 1, 2022 at 7:42

1 Answer 1

  • Pallets work in terms of strength, but in moist climates/conditions they don't last long (source: experience with central/western German climate)

  • Over here, it's reasonably easy to get smallish amounts of bricks (e.g. sandlime or concrete blocks) via small-ads. If it's not time-critical (can wait until the stones happen to be available nearby), I'd thus tend to put up walls if this is meant to last. Then screw the IBC frames on top for added stability. This gives some outdoor shelf/storage space as well.

We have tanks on low side of our grounds, so rain flows into them on its own (and with sufficient pipe diameter and incline to make it flow fast enough for a downpour). I'm considering to put up a tank at the high side (which is above the level of the roof gutter), and pump water in there as needed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.