There are so many things that one can do to lead a sustainable life. I want to know what the top 5 most impactful things that I can do in my life to help me (and my family) lead a more sustainable life.
closed as not constructive by lemontwist, Earthliŋ♦, Linger, THelper♦, bstpierre Feb 13 '13 at 15:01
As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
- Live close to where you want to go. Most longer distance methods of travel have an enormous environmental impact, or just take too long. Consider where your friends and family live, where you work, and where you shop. Learn about the impact of various types of transport so you can make sensible decisions.
- Take a big picture look at the energy use and sustainability of your home. Consider insulation, the orientation, the location, the size, and the shape of your home and how it affects your heating requirements. Consider the hot water system, the electrical system, and water use. Would it be better to move house than to try to alter your current one?
- Keep learning. Things change over time and you need to understand whether or not you should change too. It also takes a long time to understand the damage that we cause through the downstream effects of our actions, and what we can do about it. Be comfortable with who you are; if you're not, you won't make sensible decisions. If necessary, make a spiritual journey (metaphorically, perhaps), or if spirituality isn't your thing then find a suitable alternative way to get where you need to be, psychologically.
- Don't buy thneeds. Before paying for goods or services, ask yourself Do I really need this? What harm might I cause spending money in this way? What better alternatives are available?
- Spread the word. Don't be ashamed of doing any of the above. Teach the principles to your children. Encourage sustainability in your workplace, or find a new place to work that is more sustainable. Set an example to others. Raise awareness of why sustainability matters.
Sustainable living could be only possible by giving (equal or more) than taking from environment and other species.
As Humans are superior species which can think beyond getting food (like other species) can use their ability to preserve and enhance the nature's flora and fauna rather destroying them for self benefit.
- You can plant more trees, gift them to your friends.
- Take care of Animals and Plants around.
- Use resources only when needed.
- Try using renewable energy resources like Solar energy, bio gas.