The grocery co-op where I shop offers local, organic cream from three different farms, which use three different types of recyclable containers (all roughly the same volume):
- Mini version of clear plastic milk jug:
- Wax-coated cardboard carton (no screw-type spout):
- White plastic bottle with plastic shrink-wrap sleeve/label:
Assuming the contents are roughly the same, which type of container has the lowest environmental impact?
- It often takes me up to two weeks to go through a liter of cream, meaning that if there's no obvious best choice, whichever one keeps the cream from spoiling longest would be the winner.
- All three types of containers are recyclable where I live.