I just got a load of LED grow light tubes - they have mains connectors that use clover shaped plugs -- very much like a lot of laptop chargers use, but just a bit smaller.

There is no label on the plugs, does anyone know what their name/id is so I can get some longer leads?

  • Can you provide a picture or a link to the listing where you bought them?
    – LShaver
    May 8 '19 at 18:19
  • @LShaver thanks for taking the time to respond - I tracked them down (answer added)... My microgreens are going to be very happy... I just need to monitor the power consumption so I can then work out how many solar panels I'll need to run them.
    – pperrin
    May 10 '19 at 21:43

Apparently they are specialist lighting plugs (sheesh, yet another 'standard'!) and generally referred to as T5 or T8 connectors. T5 and T8 actually being a reference to the size/diameter of old school florescent tubes(!).

I chopped the end off a different old lead, and soldered the wires into the end of connector like the one in the pic, and finished it with electrical tape!

enter image description here

I hadn't found them because I was looking at the 'C' series of connectors (C5 being the 'mickey mouse' connector that is very similar, very, very common - but bigger...) enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.