I've been putting in the recycling bin all our "sparkling water," "mineral water," and unflavored Canada Dry cans. But then I wondered if I could return them to the grocery store for deposits. Apparently not -- New York State says if there's a deposit, that information needs to be clearly displayed on the can; the can makes no mention of a deposit.

Why is there no deposit on these cans?

Here is an example of such a can:

sparkling water can

I live in New York state.


1 Answer 1


Are you sure it doesn't? In sparkling water cans, sometimes the deposit label is stamped on the top (from a sparkling water I'm about to enjoy):

enter image description here

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has a list of "Frequently Asked Questions About the Bottle Bill" which confirms that there is a deposit for these types of beverage cans (emphasis added):

What beverages are covered by NY’s Bottle Bill?

  • Carbonated Soft Drinks
  • Including Sparkling Water
  • Carbonated Energy Drinks
  • Carbonated Juice (anything less than 100% juice, containing added sugar or water)
  • Carbonated Tea
  • Soda Water
  • Beer and Other Malt Beverages
  • Mineral Water – Both carbonated and non-carbonated mineral water
  • Wine Products
  • Water which does not contain sugar, including flavored or nutritionally enhanced water
  • 1
    Yay, you're right. I will say that even now that I know where to look, and even in a strong light, it is VERY hard to see. Sep 22, 2019 at 23:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.