I have a three story detached house which uses a lot of energy, particularly in the winter. I'm looking to insulate the loft but I'm not sure which kind of insulation to go with. Glass wool seems like option, but a friend says she has some rigid foam insulation going spare, which is probably enough to cover my attic. What would be the best option to go with, or should I use another sort of insulation material?

  • 2
    Where are you located (region, height) and what is the climate over the year (temperature, humidity) - edit your question.
    – user2451
    May 26, 2016 at 7:32

1 Answer 1


Blown or batts. See HomeDepot for a comparison. Look at R-Value and height and depth. Also, both fiberglass and cellulose can iritate your lungs. So wear a respirator. Also check out the HomeDepot recommended R value for your zone. I would suggest cellulose. BTW, I DO NOT suggest buying from Home Depot or any other big box. Keep your purchases local if you can.

  • 2
    Can you please edit your answer to address the question - which is best and why. Just giving a couple of examples with links to a shopping site doesn't really help the person asking the question (especially if they're not in the USA). That site also claims Sydney, Australia isn't a place...
    – Móż
    Jun 2, 2016 at 5:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.